Monday, April 5, 2010

Cinque Terre: Oh The Glory That The LORD Has Made

Cinque Terre...the most gorgeous place on earth....where do I begin...



We rolled into to Cinque Terre around 9:30 and then the train into the first village came around 10, after we refueled with some coffee. We got into the first village around 10:30 and began our hike in the most gorgeous place I’ve ever been. These 5 villages are secluded along the Mediterranean coast and only accessible by trail and by rail. We took the easiest hiking path which is about 9 km total I think. We started in Riomaggore and it was a pretty simple and marked path through the first 3 villages – then it got more challenging, which was my favorite part.

We would walk along the paths, taking a lot of pictures, and then stop in and spend a little time in each of the villages. We had a picnic of dried fruit and sandwiches and just generally enjoyed the most beautiful scenery you could ever hope to see.

The trail got more deserted as it got more challenging – the path got really narrow in some places and we took some spills.

We also took a few detours because Candace and Christin think its okay to follow rocks that say beach on it.

All in all I think we spent at least 6 hours hiking – when we got to the last village we rested for a bit and cooled off…after finding another giant rock to climb on.

We got into Florence around 8 or 9 and it was probably one of the most exhaustingly successful days that I hope I never forget. I’ve never seen anything as beautiful as these 5 villages along the coast and I had such a fun time hiking in the mountains – I would want to go back and do the more challenging trails. If you’re ever near this area - please go here if the weather is good. You could not possibly regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment