Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Roma: Arrival

Oh Rome, you are so epic, and I love you.

We got into Rome at around noon. Thanks to wonderful Ryan Air I managed to pack 10 days worth of clothes in ONE backpack while also wearing about 5 layers in Spring. Ryan Air would also like you to know that babies do not count as carry on.

We had a good 3 hours worth of public transportation to get from the airport to our hostel (this includes buying tickets, waiting for busses, finding trains, and riding them.) Our hostel is about 30 minutes outside of Rome, but it was cheap during Semana Santa, which is what matters. It’s pretty no frills but it works, the thing that matters is Rome itself, which I feel like I thoroughly saw and absolutely loved

Day one we took the metro into Piazza del Popolo (I keep wanting to type everything in Spanish…) and went from there down the main street of Rome, full of all of the stores I could never afford. From this road we pretty much followed the crowds and stumbled upon the Spanish steps, which were very crowded.

We climbed to the top, took some pictures, and then made our way to the Trevi fountain around twilight.

The Trevi Fountain is pretty darn impressive. It wasn’t as open as I was expecting and can get a little overwhelming with the amount of tourists, but its certainly ornate and meets expectations.

We went to nearby San Crispino for the most unique selection of gelato I have ever seen – it’s definitely not the type of flavors I’m used to with chocolate or cookies – they had everything from honey, whiskey, apple sorbet, and grapefruit. I had pistachio gelato and ginger and cinnamon gelato, and I have to say – the ginger and cinnamon flavor might be the best I’ve ever eaten. It was so good.

We took our gelato down to the Trevi fountain as the sun was setting – no big deal and all…

After this, we ended our first day of Rome appreciating an awesome view from a park that we stumbled upon...


No comments:

Post a Comment