Monday, February 1, 2010

El fin de semana

It's approaching the two week mark for being in Spain (even though it feels like a lot longer), and I can already tell that my Spanish is improving a lot, especially listening. I still feel at a loss for words when it comes to speaking, but I think as far as listening I've improved exponentially since being here. Today we watched our typical lunchtime television and Ana and I were both fussing over a girl on the television who was convinced she could look like a model. Ana agreed with me that she didn't have the body and was a little ugly. This is the kind of Spanish they just don't teach you in a classroom!

On Saturday we walked to the Plaza de Americas to visit some of the museums. The museums themselves are gorgeous but I have to say they didn't hold my attention for long, we went to the archeological museum and the museum for "popular customs," but I think I would enjoy the fine arts museum better, which I have to visit for a class later in the semester. Anyways, I'm glad I got to see them once while I was here, but if you're making a quick trip to Sevilla, you don't have to worry about skipping these two.

Saturday night we went out for tapas and drinks at a TexMex restaurant, which I think is funny to have in Spain, since so many people get the cultures confused. They had a really good guitar player going around to the tables singing and I enjoyed getting to talk to our waiter in Spanish, even though he did try to trade us liquor for our phone number. We enjoyed some good conversation until about 2 in the morning; I still find it strange that you can sit in a restaurant here until 2 in the morning and still be going in early.

This Sunday I went to my first mass in the large Cathedral with Candace and Christin. Even despite the language (and denomination) barrier, I still recognized a lot and was able to follow along. I recognized the reading from First Corinthians in Spanish (Without love...)! Lunch on Sunday happened to be one of the best meals I've had since being here, which makes me feel like this Sunday wasn't too different from being home, after all. We had delicious pasta (All of the pasta here is just unreal, for some reason) and Ana made us this custard like dessert with graham cracker crust and just set out this can of whip cream. She tried to feed me more of it but I knew if I didn't stop myself I could have made myself sick eating it. Que delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment